Drummer Connection
Drummer Connection
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings drummers!  (Read 70049 times)
Hawkeyes83

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2009, 12:57:22 PM »

Hi all. 

I'm new to the site and thought I'd introduce myself.  I've been a musician for 21 of my 25 years.  Started off playing classical violin (still do, now I've branched out and jam with it just like all my other instruments).  Taught myself to play guitar and bass at age 12, had to learn piano in school.  I began playing drums about 6 or 7 months ago and am now completely addicted to drumming.  It has changed the way I listen to music altogether. 

I am lucky enough to be storing a friend's kit, so I have something to practice on!  It's a few years old, Mapex V series.  It's not the best in the world, but once I throw some fresh skins on it and figure out a way to repair the crappy tom mount, it'd be a pretty decent kit.  Everything on it is stock (3 or 4 years old, whack!), and as we know, stock skins suck.  The tom mount is not so effective.  The mount on the right just won't hold position.  So, for now, I'm just using the 10" rack tom and the 14" (i think) floor tom.  Since I'm still pretty new to the drums, I like just using the 2 tom setup, since it makes me use my imagination more.

I love almost all styles of music, except pop (or songs written purely for the sake of making money).  I like to jam to the classics like Led Zeppelin and Rush and Marley and the Wailers, the not so classics like Pantera and STP, the weird and funky like Bela Fleck & the Flecktones and DMB, and pretty much everything else in between (Bluegrass, yeah!).  Trying to learn some latin grooves as well, since I live in Miami.

I live in Miami, Florida, any musicians who want to jam, hit me up.

So much love to all you drummers out there!
kyle7863

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 06:40:17 PM »

Hey, welcome to the site!

The 4 piece setup is a very common thing, so i wouldn't worry about the other tom for now. im sure pretty i posted in your other topic about that tom mount so check it out when you can.

I felt the same way about drums when i first started. Every time i listen to music now i pretty much tune everything out except for the drums, if i hear something buzzing or humming ill make a pattern out of it.
Always tapping my finger in class.  Roll Eyes

Great to see a new drummer!

By the way, i would get either the evans ec2's or the remo pinstripe heads if you get new heads, they're both awesome heads.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 09:13:17 PM by kyle7863 » Logged

Met girl, now available in robot form.
king
Administrator

OfflineOffline

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 09:58:06 AM »

Welcome to the site! How is the scene down in Miami? let us know of any cool drumming events in your area so we can promote them here. Take care and keep in touch.
Hawkeyes83

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 07:01:18 PM »

Thanks for the kind words King and kyle. 

I'm thinking of picking up the Remo Pinstripe heads.  My buddy just put one on one of his Toms and I liked the sound and feel.

As far as the scene in Miami goes, it has its ups and downs.  There are good venues but not always good vibes.  Luckily, we do get some great musicians down here.  I'll definitely post any events and news from the dirty south.

BTW, I love this site and check it every day.  Good vibes and great people.  Much love.  Keep up the great work Drummer Connection crew!
king
Administrator

OfflineOffline

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 05:34:44 PM »

Great to have you here! We look forward to viewing your progress as a musician. Download some violin tracks for us to play along to. Not to be funny, but can you play fiddle? Some Bluegrass tracks would be a nice change of pace for the site. Variety is the spice of life.
Hawkeyes83

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 03:58:27 PM »

You know I can!  I grew up playing the violin.  I had to teach myself how to fiddle, though.  I'm recording some tracks now, not all bluegrass but I try to keep it hot no matter what I'm playing.  I'll be sure to put'em up as soon as they're ready.  The more instruments you can master the closer you get to the music.

btw, I've been enjoying your coverage on the NAMM convention.  Excellent work.  I am going to have to get out to one of those in the future.
king
Administrator

OfflineOffline

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 09:59:15 AM »

Thanks man! We have new stuff coming up every day. It's A LOT of material but it was worth it. Today I'm working on gettnig the artist interviews up on the site. Along with more video of Jojo Mayer and Sabian Live.
The Boogie Down Bronx

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 05:34:01 PM »

Just a quick hello and to test and see if I'm doing this right.  As you can see this is my first time blogging and I'm totally new to this site although I registered a year ago.  I am now finding the time to venture out and reading great post listed.  I must have been blind last year.  If I am doing this right and get feedback, I will make it a point to visit this site everyday.  Big ups to all my drummers in the world...coming to you from the boogie down bronx

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: